Starting from the Jumbles Reservoir car park, the day promised to be cloudy, cool and dry. Walking by the side of the Jumbles reservoir and sheltered by the trees there was little wind and it felt quite warm in the sunny intervals. Two heron were seen perched on a branch out in the open water. No doubt looking for a fishy lunch. Later we spotted what we think were swallows swooping over the water catching insects. First Swallows of Summer? We thought so.
At the end of the Jumbles reservoir we headed to the east of Chapeltown towards Edgworth and the Wayoh reservoir. While the Jumbles reservoir’s original purpose (built in 1971) was to guarantee water for the Croal-Irwell river system and the associated industries, the Wayoh and Entwistle reservoirs were built in 1876 to supply water for Bolton. They still provide more than 50% of Bolton’s water today.
Towards the end of the Wayoh reservoir you get a good view of the Entwistle viaduct carrying the Ribble Valley Railway line between Bolton and Blackburn. We walked out past the reservoir towards Edge Fold before turning west towards the Turton & Entwistle reservoir. Here we heard the screech of a buzzard but it was hard to see high up above the trees.
Past the end of Entwistle reservoir we headed back towards Chapeltown. In the woods we saw white wood anemone also known as windflower, thimbleweed, and smell fox, an allusion to the musky smell of the leaves. Also yellow celandine. Both apparently members of the buttercup family.
Arriving in Chapeltown we had lunch at The Chetham Arms. Some of us enjoyed Rag Pudding. According to Wikipedia, Rag Pudding is a savoury dish consisting of minced meat and onions wrapped in a suet pastry, which is then cooked in a cheesecloth. It was good!
Struggling to start walking again after this good lunch we made the last mile or so back to the cars past an old war time bunker. What on earth were they trying to protect in Chapeltown? It hardly seemed likely there would be invading Germans attacking this quiet rural backwater. According to the Bolton Evening News (June 1999) it is believed the pill box was built in 1939 or 1940. The home guard originally manned the bunker, to withhold a feared German invasion with farmer’s shotguns, pikes or anything they could lay their hands on. It wasn’t until later on in the war they were issued with proper weapons! Vic
Next walk: Tuesday 9th May. Meet at the lower barn (aka Great House Barn or Rivington Hall Barn) Rivington, Bolton, BL6 7SB, ready to walk at 10.
This is a guided walk hosted by the Groundwork Trust. Helen will provide information about the redevelopment of Rivington Terraced Gardens as we walk around. Lunch at Rivington Bowling Club, Horrobin Lane BL6 7SE.
Contact: Vic 07775922433.